Stories, events and life in general from Miss Kitty's point of view


Friday

The Loss of Ms K





Today it has been one year since my companion of eighteen years and ten months passed away on January 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM, crossing over the Rainbow Bridge into another universe. She was laid to rest the following day at 9:15 in the morning.


There were many intentions to write a memorial post since her passing, but I was just unable. The first two months I still felt her presence in the house and there were many countless moments I would suddenly look up and feel her enter a room. 


She must have know it was her time, for she stopped eating two weeks before, only drinking water which she then stopped the last few days. During her last 6 days I only left her side once for a short time and upon my return she cried for me, for by now she was too weak to come to me at the front door as she has done all these years.




Those six days nothing mattered but her comfort and well being. I even looked into euthanasia but I could not bring myself to hastening the end nor in an environment that was clinical, cold and just foreign.


There were hours in which she was alert and even walked around, asking to go outside into the garden. On one sunny day she came over to a part of the garden she favored most to watch me preparing the ground. She stood next to my feet and looked down a deep hole, the grave I was preparing. I knelt beside Ms K and told her that this is her resting place and that I hoped she liked the spot I selected, for it was also the center of the garden and I would see it every time I would look out of the kitchen window.



The moment of death in my arms


During those last days that Ms K and I shared together, I took several hundred of photographs. Even now it is still very hard for me to even go back and edit them. A few I have kept on my iPhone and whenever I have a chance to talk about her, I share these precious photographs of her.


On a regular bases I head to her resting place in the garden and offer a cup of tea and a tangerine, then lighting two incense to purify the area.  



Laying Ms K to rest








Her final resting place




Offerings for her spirit


(^..^)


_________________




It was now mid-summer and my daughter was coming home for good since she graduated from Santa Cruz University and would be bringing her feline companion Oliver. While he did bring some comfort and joy, Oliver was no lap cat and he did not like being held and I still yearned for Ms K.


Whenever I went to the pet shop to purchase supplies for Oliver, I would look at the cats that were up for adoption, for there was still that void of emptiness that needed to be filled. 


I would hold one or two cats I liked, play with them in the stores enclosure and while it felt good holding a one close, I still felt it was not the right time. This cycle went on for another five months.


While I no longer feel her presence in the house or the garden, I venture often to her grave just to be with her, offering a prayer or just to talk with her. Reassuring her spirit that when another feline enters my life, I would not forget her.


On another trip to the pet store for supplies, I once more stopped off to see what precious cats were in need of adoption. Besides Hop along Cassidy there was also another adoption agency with plenty of dogs and felines in need of a home and while I held a number of cats I engaged with, non seemed too interested in me other than for a couple of minutes.


For me it is important that the feline chooses me as all my previous companions have adopted me by appearing at my front door. However this last November Saturday, the 17th, a seven month stray being cared for by Furever Home adoption people, he let it be known I would not be going home alone.


These passed nine weeks, my new companion has brought me great joy. 



Note: In the coming weeks I will return to post once more as I am contemplating a new website dedicated to Sasha Alexander.





23 comments:

Christiane said...

As long as I have not heard from you, I had already thought that Miss Kitty is gone. I feel very sorry about that. But 18 years is a respectable age for a cat. And somehow they never go completely. They always remain a part of us.
R.I.P. Miss Kitty

greetings
Christiane

isabel gutiérrez said...

Hola Egmont, leyendo tu escrito sobre Ms K,me he puesto a llorar. Bellas palabra y bellas, aunque tristes, fotografías. Para ellos es mucha edad, pero a nosotros no nos importaría tenerlos diez añitos más.

Un abrazo a Ms Kitty, allá donde esté y otro para tí.

Greetings, Isabel

meowmeowmans said...

Hello, Egmont.

Thank you for your poignant and beautiful post about your beloved Ms. Kitty. We are so very sorry that it was her time to go to the Bridge. Thank you for loving her so much, and so well, for nearly 19 years. She certainly had a wonderful life with you, and she will live always in your heart and soul.

And surely she had a paw in bringing you and Sasha Alexander together.

Purrs and prayers to you, our friend.

Sparkle said...

Purrs to you for such a lovely tribute to Miss Kitty. My heart broke a little for you, seeing these poignant photographs. Please don't be a stranger - I do want to hear more bout Sasha Alexander.

Annie Bear said...

I'm sorry about Miss Kitty. This was a very loving post.

I hope you will return to write about Sasha Alexander.

Jans Funny Farm said...

I am glad you are now able to write Miss Kitty a memorial post. She was dearly loved.

I am happy you have been adopted by another kitty. I'm sure Miss Kitty would be pleased. May you two have many years together.

Jan

Fr. Tom Fish said...

A very touching post and one that shows how different we all are when it comes to the loss and grieving of a special little soul. Our hope is for continued happiness with your new companion, someone sent surely by Miss Kitty, to be a part of your life. xx

~Julie, Tinker, Chopin, Anastasia and Angel Tom

The Island Cats said...

What a beautiful post to your lovely Miss Kitty. We know how hard it is to lose a special furbaby.

We're happy to hear a new kitty has entered your life. We look forward to hearing more about Sasha.

Pip said...

I understand the pain and journey you have traveled. Some people search for a lifetime to find the bond the two of you seem to have.
I bet she will be happy that you find another kitty, not to fill her spot, which she will occupy for forever, but to create another in your heart.
Love is boundless.

Unknown said...

I am so very sorry to hear about the passing of Ms K to rest. I was led here bot other cat bloggers and wanted to pay my respect as I know how hard it is to lose a wonderful companion as I lost my Miss Bitty nearly three weeks ago. She was only 3.
You have such a lovely memorial for Ms K. I hope she continues to visit you from time to time to reassure you she is still there if only in spirit.

Stacy Hurt said...

I am so glad you have chosen to share what happened with Miss Kitty. I had often wondered.

Happy to read you have been found by a new love to rescue you.

xoxo
That Woman
& Ms. Stella O'Houligan

christiane said...

J'ai été touchée par votre post et votre hommage à Miss Kitty.
Elle sera toujours dans votre coeur !

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

What a touching post for your lovely Miss Kitty. We know how hard it is to lose a special furbaby. We're happy to hear Sasha has entered your life. We look forward to hearing more about him.

Connie - Tails from the Foster Kittens said...

my thoughts are with you as you remember this anniversary.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

I have long wondered about you and Miss Kitty. Thank you for the loving gentle tribute you have given to her. I lost my beloved Abby on August 12, 2013 in much the same way as you and Miss Kitty. Those last two weeks with her and solely devoted to her needs and many photos taken. Your feelings echo mine as going back and working on her photo files brought pain and pleasure. I am on Day 166 and still grieving over my girl. Even though, in Dec of this year another young girl entered my life. Please come and meet Annabelle. But, I still miss my special girl and I suppose I always will. Thank you for sharing Miss Kitty and her last days with us. Her memorial is beautiful just as she was and I am so glad to know another kitty has found their way into your arms and heart.

Michelle said...

Oh Daddy Egmont....I had wondered about that to be honest. I think we all know how you feel. First, I'm so very sorry for your loss of Miss Kitty. I Am sure Part of your heart has been torn away...but know that she lives on in your heart and is always with you. When my Mocha passed away it devastated me. I am fighting back tears now knowing you are going through the same. It brings back all the memories of how I felt the day Mocha passed. You will never replace who she was to you, I know this...but please know she was the luckiest kitty alive because you gave her the greatest life any cat could ever be so fortunate to have. I am so glad to know you have rescued another....she is yet another lucky girl....thank you for rescuing....coming from someone who volunteers every other week at a cat rescue. And thank you Miss Kitty for giving us readers some wonderful golden years. Run free and happy over the rainbow bridge. I will speak with Miss Mocha and tell her she has a new friend there. <3. My email is misha503@gmail.com if you ever want to talk! Lots of loving purrs from me Nd my five kitties.

Michelle said...

P.S.Excuse all typos....typing on an iPad is tough lol. I meant he and I see a few other typos ugh!

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

We had not visited your blog before today, but found your tribute and photos comforting and smiled when we read about your new companion, too...

SIGrid said...

Das, was du schreibst über deine Katze kann ich so gut nachvollziehen.
Auch meine Katze Pauline ist im Februar 2013 gestorben. Sie war 19 Jahr alt. Sie ist ganz ruhig eingeschlafen.
Mögen sie in Frieden ruhen!

Marlynn said...

Beautiful Post. Moving, Serene, and honored Ms. K so graciously. I'm so glad that Sasha showed up. For me, that has not happened since Mr. Cricket Likens passed in 2004. Hard to believe it will be 10 years in March and I still tear up. However, he is with me everyday and looks down from where his ashes rest in their special place. God bless you my dear friend, Marlynn

TimberLove said...

What a beautiful post, we found you whilst wandering today-don't know if you ever stop in here but we wanted to offer soft husky wooos, with much respect,

RA, Isis & Nanük

Cats of wildcat woods said...

Just saw your post heading and wanted to say we think of you and Miss Kitty often. I am so sorry she left you. We too believe in letting our cats die naturally at home if possible. Taking them to the vet is so traumatic for us and them. Sending you love and light in your loss and looking forward to hearing about the new little cat.

Unknown said...

You made her resting place so beautiful. I bet she loves it.